Focus of our research is on learning, instruction, and collaboration. We are referring to theoretical approaches that regard learning as active, constructive, and essentially social process. From this perspective, the crucial task of instruction is to facilitate and scaffold the learners’ cognitive activities. The research projects are situated in school contexts, as well as in the fields of higher and further education. An important question in most of the projects is, how digital technologies can be used and designed in order to facilitate learning, instruction, and collaboration in these different educational contexts.
Our current projects are
Inquiry Learning in Science Education
- Computer-supported collaboration scripts for inquiry learning in the science classroom
- Orchestration of Help Processes in the Classroom
- Developing Concepts for an Improved Use of Furniture and Digital Technologies in Schools, Universities and Further Education
Problem-oriented learning in higher education
- Collaboration Scripts for Online Discussions
- Using Natural Language Processing (NLP) to Analyse and Facilitate Online Discussions
- Training of complex skills in medical education
Case-based Learning in Further Education
- Promoting Teacher Expertise: The Relation of individual Prerequisites and Instructional Processes in Computer-supported Case-based Learning Environments
- QUOMED – Continuing Medical Education Online
- 2AgePro: Experienced Teachers as a Resource for Novice Teachers and Communities: Transfer of Knowledge and Competence
- COMPARE – Competent Argumentation with Evidences. Measurement and Modeling in Educational Sciences and Transfer from Medical Studies
Cooperation projects/Research networks
- Partner in the european STELLAR Network of Excellence with conductorship and coordination of the work package "Building Researcher Capacity"
- Coordination and Integration within the DFG Research Group "Orchestrating Computer-Supported Processes of Learning and Instruction"
- Coordination of the Special Interest Group on Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning (funded in the context of the European Network of Excellence „Kaleidoscope“
- Kaleidoscope Scientific Facilitator (funded in the context of the European Network of Excellence „Kaleidoscope“)
- Kaleidoscope European Research Team „Cossicle“ (EU-funded 01/2005 - 12/2007)