How do we remember?
What brain mechanisms are involved in encoding and retrieval of memories?
What happens to our memories during sleep?
How do we orient ourselves in space?
Our research aims to find answers to these and other basic cognitive neuroscience questions. We mainly use electroencephalography in healthy subjects and intracranial recordings in patients to investigate the neural mechanisms underlying cognitive processes during wake and sleep.
Participate in a Study
Interested in participating in research on memory, navigation and sleep? See here.
- Staudigl, T., Minxha, J., Mamelak, A. N., Gothard, K. M., & Rutishauser, U. (2022). Saccade-related neural communication in the human medial temporal lobe is modulated by the social relevance of stimuli. Science Advances, 8(11), eabl6037. DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.abl6037
- Griffiths B. J., Zaehle T., Repplinger S., Schmitt F., Voges J., Hanslmayr S., Staudigl T. (2022). Rhythmic interactions between the mediodorsal thalamus and prefrontal cortex precede human visual perception. bioRxiv. https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.02.07.479362
- Schreiner, T., Kaufmann, E., Noachtar, S., Mehrkens, J. H., & Staudigl, T. (2021). The human thalamus orchestrates neocortical oscillations during NREM sleep. bioRxiv. https://doi.org/10.1101/2021.12.11.471766
- Griffiths, B. J., Martín-Buro, M. C., Staresina, B. P., & Hanslmayr, S. (2021). Disentangling the roles of neocortical alpha/beta and hippocampal theta/gamma oscillations in human episodic memory formation. NeuroImage, 242, 118454. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2021.118454
- Schreiner, T., Petzka, M., Staudigl, T., Staresina B. Endogenous memory reactivation during sleep in humans is clocked by slow oscillation-spindle complexes. Nat Commun 12, 3112 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-021-23520-2
- Griffiths, B. J., Martín-Buro, M. C., Staresina, B. P., Hanslmayr, S., & Staudigl, T. (2021). Alpha/beta power decreases during episodic memory formation predict the magnitude of alpha/beta power decreases during subsequent retrieval. Neuropsychologia, 107755. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2021.107755