Chair for Economic and Organisational Psychology
Phone: +49 (0) 89 / 2180 - 5201
please arrange appointment via e-mail
Since Nov. 2007 he holds the chair of Business and Organizational Psychology at the LMU Munich. From 2000 to 2007 he was Chair of Organisational and Social Psychology and from 2002 to 2007 Head of the Work and Organisational Psychology Unit at Aston University (United Kingdom). For over 12 years he was a member of the steering committee of the GLOBE (Global Leadership and Organisational Behavior Effectiveness) Program, a research association of 170 scientists from more than 60 countries, which was established at the Wharton School of Management, USA, in 1993. He has published eight books and more than 100 scientific, as well as numerous professional and practical articles in areas such as Intercultural management, organizational culture and leadership, diversity and dissent, collective information processing, problem solving and decision making, action and failure processes, human-computer interaction, group performance and research methods. His expertise includes experimental, applied and field research, development of theory and practical tools in the above mentioned areas, as well as consulting of executives, teams and organizations in change management, human resource management and international employee surveys. From 2007 to 2010 he was editor of the journal OrganisationsEntwicklung and from 2007 to 2018 he was partner and shareholder of a consulting company focused on organisational diagnostics and development which supervised various international medium-sized enterprises, global acting corporations and national research groups.
His academic teaching activities (since 1988) cover the fields of industrial and organisational psychology, personnel, economic and market psychology, economic psychology, social psychology, comparative cultural psychology and methods. This in various formats in basic and advanced studies of psychology and pedagogy at German and Austrian universities (LMU Munich, JLU Giessen, University of Innsbruck), at universities of cooperative education in various countries (Deutsche Versicherungsakademie - DVA, Hotelfachakademie Kaiserhof - Meran, Italy, Chartered Institute of Personal Development, CIPD, UK), as well as in undergraduate (Bachelor), postgraduate (Master, MBA), doctoral programs (DBA, PhD) and in executive training at Aston University, Birmingham, UK, and other institutions at home and abroad.
- Teaching research project "Industrial and organisational psychology
- Teaching practice project "Business Psychology
- Lecture and accompanying seminar "Industrial and organisational psychology
- Seminar "A&O Specific Consolidation: EbM
Internationale Führung. Das GLOBE-Brevier in der Praxis
With the title "Internationale Führung. Das GLOBE-Brevier in der Praxis" by Felix C. Brobeck, the second volume of the book series "Die Wirtschaftspsychologie" has been available since November 2015. In this work, twenty years of intercultural leadership and organizational research from the GLOBE project (Global Leadership and Organisational Behavior Effectiveness) are presented in an easily understandable way for use in leadership and organizational practice. The findings from the GLOBE project are presented against the background of current leadership research, cultural research and other cross-cultural studies on intercultural leadership. Concrete application examples and design approaches clearly demonstrate how the results of GLOBE can be successfully applied in practice.
Book series "Die Wirtschaftspsychologie"
The book series "Die Wirtschaftspsychologie" with Felix C. Brodbeck, Erich Kirchler and Ralph Woschée as publishers was established in 2015 by Springer Verlag. The aim of the series is to shed light on complex issues from the numerous fields of business psychology and to present them in individual titles in an easily understandable way. The aim is to provide practice-oriented and scientifically sound information on current topics from everyday professional and business life. In the individual volumes, experts from the fields of industrial and organisational psychology, personnel psychology, market and consumer psychology as well as economic psychology provide insights into current psychological knowledge that is relevant for answering practice-oriented questions. The series is thus aimed at employees, managers, HR and human resources managers, management consultants and marketing experts, as well as young professionals and students interested in topics related to economic psychology.
Felix C. Brodbeck, Erich Kirchler, Ralph Woschée (Series editors)
- Kugler, K. G., Reif, J. A. M., Kaschner, T., & Brodbeck, F. C. (2018). Gender differences in the initiation of negotiations: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 144(2), 198-222. doi:10.1037/bul0000135
- Chengguang Li, Brodbeck, F. C., Shenkar, O., Ponzi, L. J., & Fisch, J. H. (2016). Embracing the foreign: Cultural attractiveness and international strategy. Strategic Management Journal (online, June, 2016). doi: 10.1002/smj.2528
- Thibault Landry, A., Kindlein, J., Trépanier, S.-G., Forest, J., Zigarmi, D., Houson, D., & Brodbeck, F.C. (2016). Why individuals want money matters: Using self-determination theory to explain the differential relations between motives for making money and employee psychological health. Motivation and Emotion, 1-17. doi: 10.1007/s11031-015-9532-8
- Mahlke, J., Schultze, M., Koch, T., Eid, M., Eckert, R., & Brodbeck, F.C. (2016). A Multilevel CFA-MTMM Approach for Multisource Feedback Instruments: Presentation and Application of a New Statistical Model. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 23(1), 91-110. doi: 10.1080/10705511.2014.990153
- Reif, J. A. M. & Brodbeck, F. C. (2014). Initiation of negotiation and its role in negotiation research Foundations of a theoretical model. Organizational Psychology Review, 4(4), 363-381. doi: 10.1177/2041386614547248
- Kugler, K. G. & Brodbeck, F. C. (2014). Corporate Communication and Worker Perceptions of Conflict Management and Justice. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 7(4), 265-281. doi:10.1111/ncmr.12042
- Guillaume, Y.F.R., van Knippenberg, D., & Brodbeck, F. C. (2014). Nothing succeeds like moderation: A social self-regulation perspective on cultural dissimilarity and performance. Academy of Management Journal, 57(5), 1284-1308. doi: 10.5465/amj.2013.0046
- Brodbeck. F. C., Kugler, K. G., Reif, J. A. M., & Maier, M. A. (2013). Morals Matter in Economic Games. PLoS ONE 8(12), 1 -19. (link to the paper)
- Guillaume, Y. R. F., Brodbeck, F. C., & Riketta, M. (2012). Surface- and deep-level dissimilarity effects on social integration and individual effectiveness related outcomes in work groups: A meta-analytic integration. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology. 85, 80–115. DOI: 10.1111/j.2044-8325.2010.02005.x
- van Quaquebeke, N., van Knippenberg, D., & Brodbeck, F. C. (2011). More than meets the eye: The role of subordinates' self-perceptions in leader categorization processes. The Leadership Quarterly, 22(2), 367-382. doi: 10.1016/j.leaqua.2011.02.011
|Chhokar, J., Brodbeck, F. C., & House, R. (2008). Culture and leadership across the world: The GLOBE Book of in-depth studies of 25 societies (2nd edition). Mahwah, NJ: LEA Publishers.||Manktelow, J., Brodbeck, F. C., & Anand, N. (2006) (2005 e-book). How to lead: Discover the leader within you. Swindon, UK: Mind Tools Ltd.|
|R. J. House, R. J., Hanges, P. J., Javidan, M., Dorfman, P. W., & Gupta, V. (2004). Culture, Leadership, and Organizations: The GLOBE study of 62 societies. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.||
|Brodbeck, F. C., Anderson, N., & West, M. A. (2000). Das Teamklima-Inventar. Heidelberg: Hogrefe.|
Awards and Honours
- FELLOW OF THE IAAP (International Association of Applied Psychology), 2014
- BEST PAPER AWARD of the Society of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP, American Association for Psychology, Division 14): TOP Poster 99-1: “The role of fit in understanding leader effectiveness across cultures”; 2011
- URSULA GIELEN GLOBAL PSYCHOLOGY BOOK AWARD of the American Association for Psychology (APA, Division 52) for the book: "Culture and Leadership Across the World: The GLOBE Book of In-Depth Studies of 25 Societies (2007/08)", Editors: Jagdeep S. Chhokar, Felix C. Brodbeck & Robert House; 2009
- THE FINANCIAL TIMES AWARDS THE PROGRAM “ORGANISATIONAL BEHAVIOUR”, led by the WOP Group at Aston Business School, which I chaired at that time, as “Best in Organisational Behaviour in Europe” as part of their Evaluation “Masters in Management 2005”; 2005
- M. SCOTT MYERS AWARD FOR APPLIED RESEARCH IN THE WORKPLACE, the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP, American Association for Psychology, Division 14) awarded to the members of the GLOBE Project; 2004/ 2005
- THE TIMES AWARDS THE MBA PROGRAM “ORGANISATION STUDIES”, led by the WOP Group at Aston Business School, which I chaired at that time, as “Best MBA course for Organisation Studies – world wide”, 23. November 2003
- RESEARCH ASSOCIATE of MRC/ESRC Centre for Organization and Innovation, University of Sheffield, 1996 - 2000
- SOFTWARE-ERGONOMICS-RESEARCH-AWARD, from the German Society for Computer Sciences (Gesellschaft für Informatik e.V.) and the German Chapter of the American Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), 1995
- HEINZ-HECKHAUSEN-JUNIOR-SCIENTIST-AWARD (Heinz-Heckhausen-Jungwissenschaftler Preis) from the German Society of Psychology (DGfP), 1994